Office Address: 64J Engineering Building, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056
OFFICE PHONE: (513) 529-0767
E-MAIL ADDRESS: almquic @muohio.edu
Ph.D. - Environmental Engineering, University of Cincinnati - 2001
M.S. - Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati - 1997
B.S. - Chemical Engineering, Ohio State University - 1989
Associate Professor, Miami University, 2007- present
Assistant Professor, Miami University, 2001 - 2007
Research Scientist, Aerosol Science and Technology Assessment, Battelle Memorial Institute, 1990-1997
Chemical Engineer, Process Research and Development, Dow-Corning, Inc., 1989-1990
PUBLICATIONS AND PAPERS:
Refereed Journal Publications:
- Guy Litt and Catherine Almquist, "An Investigation of CuO/Fe2O3 Catalysts for the Gas-Phase Oxidation of Ethanol". Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 1-2, 10-17, (2009).
- Endalkachew Sahle-Demessie, Catherine B. Almquist and Sridara Chandra Sehker (2008). The role of catalyst properties on methanol oxidation over V2O5-TiO2 using ozone. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution: Focus, 8, p. 297-309.
- Catherine B. Almquist, Endalkachew Sahle-Demessie, Sridara Chandra Sehker, and Julia Sowash (2007). Methanol oxidation using ozone on titania-supported vanadia catalyst. Environmental Science and Technology, 41(13) pp. 4754-4760.
- Bart Wojas and Catherine Almquist (2007). Mass concentration and metals speciation of PM2.5, PM10, and total suspended solids in Oxford, Ohio and comparison with those from metropolitan sites in the Greater Cincinnati Region. Atmospheric Environment, 41, pp. 9064-9078.
- V. Kumar, N. Lee, and C. L. Bothe Almquist (2006). The catalytic oxidation of methanol over nanostructured WO3/V2O5/TiO2 catalysts prepared by 2 different methods. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental ,69 pp. 101-114.
- Almquist, C. B. and L. Boyd (2004), "The application of photocatalysis on TiO2 for degrading COD in paper mill wastewaters" TAPPI Journal, 3(9), pp 9-15.
- G. Wu, C. L. B. Almquist and S-T Hwang (2004), "High gas permeability in openstructure membranes", Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 21(2), pp. 442-453.
- Sylian Rodriguez, C.L. Bothe Almquist, Tai Gye Lee, Masami Furuuchi, Elizabeth Hedrick, and Pratim Biswas (2004). "A mechanistic model for mercury capture with in-situ generated titania particles: Role of water vapor", Journal of Air and Waste Management Association, in press.
- John Graham, C. L. Bothe Almquist, Sachin Kumar and Sukh Sidhu (2004), " An Investigation of Nanostructured Vandia/Titania Catalysts for the Oxidation of Monochlorobenzene", Applied Catalysis, in press.
- Catherine B. Almquist, E. Sahle-Demessie, Julius Enriquez and Pratim Biswas (2003), "The Photocatalytic Oxidation of Low Concentration Methyl-tertiary Butyl Ether on Titanium Dioxide in Synthetically Prepared and Field Samples of Ground Water in a Falling Film Reactor.", Environmental Progress, Vol. 22, Iss. 1, pp. 14-23.
- Catherine B. Almquist and Pratim Biswas (2002), "Role of Synthesis Method and Particle Size Nanostructured TiO2 on its Photoactivity", Journal of Catalysis, Vol. 212, pp. 145-156.
- E. Sahle-Demessie, Teri Richardson, Catherine B. Almquist, and Unnikrishnan R. Pallai (2002), "Comparison of Liquid and Gas-Phase Photooxidation of MTBE: Synthetic and Field Samples", Journal of Environmental Engineering , Vol. 128, pp.782.790.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist and P. Biswas, (2001). A mechanistic approach to modeling the effect of dissolved oxygen in photo-oxidation reactions on titanium dioxide in aqueous systems. Chemical Engineering Science, 56 (11), pp. 3421-3430.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist and P. Biswas, (2001). The photo-oxidation of cyclohexane on titanium dioxide: an investigation of competitive adsorption and its effects on product formation and selectivity. Applied Catalysis A: General, 214 (2), pp. 259-271.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist, Ettireddy, R.P., Bobst, A. and Smirniotis, P., (2000). An XRD, XPS, and EPR study of Li/MgO catalysis: case of the oxidative methylation of acetonitrile to acrylonitrile and methane. Journal of Catalysis, 192, pp. 174-184.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist and S.T. Hwang, (1999). The Permeation of Organophosphorus Compounds in Silicone Rubber Membranes. Journal of Membrane Science, 153 (1), pp. 57-69.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist, E. Sahle-Demessie, J. Enriquez, and P. Biswas, (2001). The Removal of Methyl-t-Butyl Ether (MTBE) from Ground Water Using Photocatalysis on Titanium Dioxide. manuscript submitted to Water Research.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist and P. Biswas, (2001). The effects of primary particle size on the photoactivity of titanium dioxide in the destruction of phenol in water. Manuscript submitted to the Journal of Catalysis.
- C. L. Bothe Almquist, P. Boolchand and P. Biswas, (2001). Localization effects in nanostructured anatase titania. Manuscript in preparation for Rapid Communications.
- Catherine Almquist, 14th International Conference on TiO2 Photocatalysis: Fundamentals and Applications. Niagara Falls, NY, October 8, 2009 “Role of TiO2 particle size on aqueous-phase photocatalysis”.
- Catherine Almquist, TAPPI EPE Conference. Memphis, TN, October 13, 2009 “Field study on ozone-enhanced catalytic oxidation of waste gas emission from the pulp and paper industry”.
- Catherine Almquist, AICHE Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, Nov 8-13, 2009 “Field study on ozone-enhanced catalytic oxidation of waste gas emission from the pulp and paper industry”, presented by E. Sahle Demessie of the US EPA in Cincinnati.
- Catherine B. Almquist, Central Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (CERMACS), Columbus, Ohio. Guy Litt’s technical poster was presented at a poster session, entitled “An Investigation of CuO/Fe2O3 Catalysts for the Gas-Phase Oxidation of Ethanol.”
- Sharma, G. and Almquist, C. B. (2007), “Ozone-enhanced photocatalytic oxidation of methylene blue” 37th Mid-Atlantic Industrial and Hazardous Waste Conference, March 21-23, Cincinnati, Ohio. ”
- PonRajesh Periasamy Vairavanathan and Almquist, C. B. (2007), “Bilayer Film Catalysis of ZnO-CdO and a Comparison with ZnO Film Catalysis.” 12th International Conference on TiO2 Photocatalysis: Fundamentals and Applications, and 13th International Conference on Advanced Oxidation Technologies for Treatment of Water, Air, and Soil, September 24-27, Niagara Falls, NY.
- US Patent 05445742, "Process for Purifying Halosilanes", Dow Corning Corporation, August 29, 1995.
MAJOR INTEREST AREAS:
Environmental Catalysis, Photocatalysis.
Return to Paper & Chemical Engineering faculty index